Tuesday, June 17, 2014

An is leaving VNHIP

It has been nearly seven years since I started to work with the Hoi An Foundation (VNHIP). Time has passed really quickly, and I will be leaving soon to study in the US.

I have really enjoyed working for the organization. Dr Josh, Dr Brian, Carol and Hayley trained me to be a medical translator, then a health educator and project manager. I have had many opportunities to work with the doctors and nurses from the US and Australia, who volunteer with us and have gained so much knowledge and experience.

I still remember when we first started the Non Communicable Diseases (NCD) project in Dien Ban and Duy Xuyen, there was so much work to do, and I had very little experience. We would ride to the local clinics by motorbike very early in the morning carrying medicines, medical equipment and patients' charts. Sometimes we went to a clinic very far to the West and Dr Brian kept asking if we were in Cambodia yet.

Counseling a patient at a clinic in Duy Xuyen
I am inspired by the way Dr Josh, Dr Brian and all the other volunteers are so devoted to the community. I am proud of VNHIP; it is a small organization that achieves such a lot. VNHIP is very lucky to have Quynh and Yen; they manage their projects efficiently, and I am confident that they will manage the foundation well after I leave.

Josh, Carol, Quynh and I at a clinic in Phu Tho (WHO project)
I was encouraged by many of you to believe more in myself and move forward in my career. Thank you for being so supportive, it was because of you that I was awarded the Fulbright Scholarship. Thank you Quynh and Yen, for taking on extra work so that I could prepare for the interview and exams.

I feel so lucky to work with you all, and I hope to work with you again when I come back. I have so many pleasant memories of my time with VNHIP, and will continue to support your work when you need me.

beautiful scenery when doing patient home visit that I will miss
I would also like to thank the volunteer teachers at CHIA who have helped me to improve my English and my friends at CHIA, PIC who shared their experience with me during my time with VNHIP.

No comments: